Grief & Bereavement Resources
The internet has a wealth of education and support resources related to grief, bereavement and the many types of loss people experience. The following links are only a suggested beginning point to connect with those resources.
Grief & Bereavement
- GriefShare – Opportunities to attend local support group, education, resources in a safe and confidential setting with trained facilitators who have experienced grief.
- GriefShare Birmingham – If you’ve lost a spouse, parent, sibling, child, or other close family member, you’ve probably found there are not many people who understand the deep hurt you feel. This can be a confusing time when you feel isolated and have many questions about things you’ve never faced before. GriefShare provides a friendly, caring group of people who will walk alongside you. Trained facilitators who have experienced grief just like you will guide you through one of life’s most difficult experiences and provide you with the tools and resources to move forward. Meetings will be held at Faith Church , 4601 Valleydale Road, Birmingham, AL 35242 on Thursday nights from 7:00pm to 8:45pm, starting February 2, 2023. You are welcome to join us at any time during the 14-week series. If you are college age or older and have lost a close family member, please call 205.908.6529 or email FromMourningToJoy@gmail.com for questions and/or registration. Registration Fee: $20.00. For more information, please review the GriefShare brochure.
- Grief Watch – Articles on grief and links to resources.
- GriefNet.org – Internet community of persons dealing with grief, death and major loss.
- GriefStories – A non-profit organization that makes short video stories with hope, insights and information about grief.
- National Donor Family Council – Opportunities for donor families to share their stories and find support. Message boards, email discussions, pen pals and an online newsletter.
- What’s Your Grief? – Website and online community for grieving people and support professionals.
Loss of Spouse
- Sisterhood of Widows – Online grief support site for widows and focuses on support and recovery.
- AARP– Information for widows and widowers. Online discussions.
Infant and Child Loss
- Compassionate Friends– Education and support for bereaved parents of any age. Links to local chapter meetings and newsletter.
- The M.I.S.S. Foundation– Online support through chat rooms and forums, local support groups, online newsletter.
- Bereaved Parents of the USA– Information for parents who have lost a child, online newsletter and links to resources.
- Alive Alone– Support for parents whose only child or all children have died. Newsletter, links, resources and message board.
Children and Loss
- National Alliance for Grieving Children – Provides list of local support groups and resources for talking with children about grief.
- Dougy Center – Online resources and activities for children who are grieving.
- COPE (Connecting our Paths Eternally) – Organization dedicated to helping those who have suffered a loss with sibling support groups.
- The Gift of Keith – Website started by parents whose son died by suicide. Resources and articles by other survivors of suicide.
- Alliance of Hope – Online support for families coping with a loved one’s loss due to suicide.
- National Organization of Parents of Murdered Children– Message boards, support services, legal tips and advice from experts regarding investigations, media coverage, etc.
- Grief.com – Online support for families coping with a loved one’s loss due to homicide.